World Coconut Day ? Why You Shouldn?t Miss Out Drinking This Wonderful Drink
Chances are good that you’ve consumed coconuts at some point in your life, either as coconut water, coconut milk, coconut oil, raw, etc. After all, coconuts are wonderful fruits and extremely versatile, so why not eat some?
Here’s Why You Should Celebrate Coconut Day
Coconuts hold such a great importance for farmers in coastal areas, that a whole day is dedicated to celebrating the existence of this wonderful fruit. What day is that? It’s Coconut Day, and it arrives on September 2, every year.
Coconut Day celebrations also mark the end of Monsoon season, as some farmers and fishermen that revere the sea provide flowers, rice, and coconuts as offerings for calmer seas and safe sailing.
So, why else is coconut farming important? Easy, coconuts are proven to be very helpful in boosting the economy and flourishing prosperity in the regions where they’re farmed. In fact, the coconut tree is considered to be the ‘tree of abundance’, or ‘tree of life’.
Every part of a coconut is useful and valuable, either as food and nutrition, building material, household materials, oils, creams, etc. As such coconut production in itself is very helpful in employment generation and boosting a region’s growth. For this reason, Coconut Day is celebrated as a way to spread awareness of the importance of coconuts in human life.
Coconut is also a fan favorite for health-conscious people, and consuming fresh coconut water that is full of natural goodness has been a rage among health freaks from quite some time now. Not only does it provide several health benefits, but it also makes a perfect substitute for artificial sugar and chemical-filled drinks.
Are you ready to learn some benefits of drinking fresh coconut water? Let’s get started!
1. Maintains hydration and is a rich source of natural electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals
2. Acts like a natural sports drink with no added sugar, colors or preservatives
3. Is rich in antioxidant properties and reduces free-radicals
4. Lowers and maintains blood sugar levels; its magnesium content improves insulin sensitivity, and fresh coconut water is beneficial for people with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes
5. Is of great help in reducing the production of kidney stones
6. Is effective in lowering blood pressure due to high potassium levels
7. Is beneficial in restoring hydration after prolonged exercise sessions
8. Is rich in anti-aging and cancer-fighting properties; a hormone named cytokinins is found in coconut water that is believed to possess these properties
9. Is good for the heart, as it reduces the risk of heart attacks or hypertension
10. Is rich in fiber and aids in digestion
11. Has a significant amount of calcium and potassium, which is necessary to maintain bone strength
12. Aids in weight loss because the water is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber, which makes one feel fuller for longer without adding any extra calories to the body
13. Makes the perfect substitute for aerated and sugary drinks because it’s sweet without the empty calories
Keeping our modern day lifestyles and unhealthy drinking habits in mind, coconut water is a perfect drink replacement for leading a healthier life. Keep in mind that, to consume all its benefits at their maximum, it’s necessary to consume coconut water as fresh as possible, as storing it for prolonged periods of time can degrade its quality and changes the taste.
If you’re feeling adventurous, there are also many other drinks you can make that also act as perfect substitutes for sugary and chemical-filled drinks. For example, why not alternate between coconut water and these?
1. Cold-pressed juice: Fresh cold-pressed juice is extracted from high-quality fresh fruits and vegetables with an advanced technique that preserves their nutrition at its best. It’s best to consume it fresh and within the prescribed time period. These juices are also totally natural, without any added sugar, colors or preservatives, and are extremely tasty and refreshing.
2. Green tea: Green tea is a healthy drink that aids in digestion, speed up weight loss, and provides a good amount of antioxidants. It also strengthens bones and teeth and supplies many disease-fighting nutrients as well.
3. Fruit smoothies: Fruits smoothies are made by blending fruits and a dairy together, and are quite filling and good for health.
4. Buttermilk: Buttermilk is the liquid that is left behind after churning butter from cream. It has a sour taste and is filled with health benefits, such as aiding in digestion and curing stomach disorders. It can be consumed raw, or sweet or salty for added taste.
Nature has given us a valuable asset in the form of coconuts; they are a boon to our overall well-being. This Coconut Day, let’s pledge to maintain good health by saying no to all (or most) unhealthy eating and drinking habits, and adopting only healthy habits, starting by drinking fresh coconut water, cold-pressed juices, or other natural drinks. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *